Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
For a while now United has had first an unannounced, and then later announced sale on some award flights that are operated by their partners both in and out of the Star Alliance. As you likely remember, about a year ago United turned their award chart on its head and began charging more for many award flights operated by partners. Via this sale, the award prices for partners are largely brought back into line with the award prices for United operated flights.
The sale is now announced to run through February 28th, so you have 10 days left to book United partner award flights through the end of the year using your United miles, or miles transferred into United 1:1 from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, at a lower than normal rate.
Not only might the partner flights be more comfortable than the United operated flights, but availability can sometimes be better than on United’s own flights, so pay attention to this sale if you have some international awards to book for 2015 with United miles. As a quick example, guess which flight below is clearly the best overall value during this partner award sale at 57,500 miles with no fuel surcharges instead of the regular 70,000 miles…
United Partner Award Sale Terms and Conditions:
- Saver Award discount is only valid for air travel. Promotion period ends at 11:59 p.m. on February 28, 2015.
- Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after January 30, and completed on or before December 31, 2015.
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for travel between the regions listed in the table above.
- A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
- Award pricing is subject to change without notice. This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
- Passenger is responsible for all taxes, fees, baggage fees and surcharges applicable to award travel, including, with respect to government imposed taxes and fees, passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18.00 per round trip; September 11th Security Fee of $5.60 per one-way trip that does not include a government defined stopover, for awards for air transportation originating at an airport in the US; U.S. segment tax of $4.00 for each domestic segment (take-off and landing); U.S. excise tax of $17.70 for each international arrival and departure in the U.S.; U.S. inspection fees of up to $17.50 for each arrival in the U.S.; and non-U.S. government ticket taxes, fees and airport charges may add up to $275 per ticket as of January 1, 2015. Such taxes, fees and surcharges must be paid at the time of ticketing and are subject to change. Any valid unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center, for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. Award seats are subject to availability and capacity-control restrictions apply. For more information on MileagePlus award travel visit www.united.com/awards.Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
- This offer is not combinable with other offers.
- This offer is combinable with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Awards one way and Saver Awards one way) but only the flight segment purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for discount.
- Changes to travel itineraries are permitted in advance by calling the United Customer Contact Center. Changes may be subject to additional service fees of up to $200 per ticket (based on account status at the time when the miles were redeemed).
- If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the promotion period or travel that does not otherwise comply with the terms and conditions of this promotion, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account, subject to an applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the mileage redemption rate commensurate with the new award.
- If the value of a partially used ticket is applied to travel outside of the promotion period, the traveler must purchase a new one-way ticket or redeem a new one-way award at the applicable mileage-redemption rate. The unused return portion of the ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.
- Redemption of additional award miles may be required if any portion of the itinerary is outside of the promotion period or does not otherwise comply with the terms and conditions of this promotion.
- This offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.