Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Today marks the start of five weeks of Daily Getaway deals with a new deal going on sale each weekday at 1PM Eastern through April 22nd. The deals are all travel related, and will vary daily from blocks of points, to car rental certificates, to hotel packages, to theme park tickets, and more. The quantity on some offerings is very limited (6 – 50 packages), while other offers have thousands of packages available. I highly recommend you pay particular attention to the quantity available for the packages you are interested in because some of the limited quantity offers (a few hundred or less) can sell out very, very quickly and you may end up empty handed and frustrated with those offers.
If you really want one with limited quantity, you should still absolutely go for it, but just do so with tempered expectations. Be sure to keep hitting refresh in the minutes leading up to 1PM Eastern and hit “buy” the second they become available. It is sometimes possible to get a package after it expires from someone else’s cart, so you can keep trying until the offer officially says sold out 10 – 15 minutes later, just remember to only do this if it won’t dramatically interrupt your day or leave you too frustrated.
The packages with thousands available such as the IHG points, Alamo rental car certificates, and Choice Hotel points should be much easier to get than the Hyatt, Hertz, or Club Carlson points.
I plan to post a summary of each week’s deals before they go on sale. I no longer think it’s necessary to do a post on each day’s deals as they have been pretty much the same for years and many people now post about them, but I am happy to expand on any particular deal you may have questions on. I also highly recommend reading all terms and conditions carefully directly on the site for any deals you are interested in since this is just a summary.
In years past you got 10% off when paying with an American Express card, but that is no longer the case. I am curious to see if these packages code as travel for the purposes of redeeming Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® points, but I have never tried this in the past as I was busy saving 10% with my Amex card.
You can view all five weeks of Daily Getaway offers here, but below is a breakdown of Week 1 offers.
Monday March 23rd
$50 Alamo Car Rental Certificate – $25 (2,000 available)
- Within 5 business days of purchase, Alamo will send the purchased certificate(s) to the e-mail address you provide at time of purchase.
- Max quantity to purchase is 3.
- Twenty-four (24)-hour advance reservation required.
- Certificate not valid with any other discount, offer, or promotional rate, except you may combine up to three (3) separate certificates per single rental.
- When using more than one (1) certificate, reservations must be made by calling 1-866-626-9102.
- Any unused portion of the certificate will be forfeited, and no residual credit or refunds will be issued if the certificate is not fully used.
Deal or No Deal?
I have never used this deal, but I know others have with success. They seem to be most useful if you are renting at a location that frequently doesn’t allow for other discount codes or promotional rates anyway (Alaska has been mentioned before), or if you just want to keep your car rental deals simple. Saving 50% off a car rental certainly can be a good deal, if you aren’t forgoing a similar amount of savings elsewhere without locking yourself into Alamo.
Tuesday March 24th
Packages of IHG Points Ranging from 15,000 – 100,000 points each
- 100,000 IHG Points (3,850 available) – $565, .565 cents per point
- 50,000 IHG points (1,500 available) – $293, .586 cents per point
- 25,000 IHG points (1,000 available) – $150, .6 cents per point
- 15,000 IHG points (1,000 available) – $90, .6 cents per point
- No more than 3 packages of points purchased through this offer are allowed per loyalty number. A maximum of 16 packages of points is allowed per loyalty number across all IHG offers.
- Within 10 business days of purchase, you will have 100,000 IHG® Rewards Club points deposited into the IHG Rewards Club account provided at time of purchase, to be used however you choose.
Deal or No Deal?
You can buy IHG points for .7 cents whenever you wish via this method, so these prices are certainly a bit lower, though not dramatically so. I think it can be worth it to buy a package if you have an idea of how you want to use the points, or if you are starting with zero IHG points since the method to buy points at .7 cents requires you to have at least 5,000 points in your account. I routinely pick up a few points via this sale and have never regretted it, but I don’t necessarily recommend speculative purchases in most cases.
Wednesday March 25th
Packages of Club Carlson Points – 100,000 or 50,000 points
- 100,000 Club Carlson points (50 available) – $450, .45 cents per point
- 50,000 Club Carlson points (100 available) – $225, .44 cents per point
- No more than 2 sets of points purchased through this offer are allowed per loyalty number. A maximum of 4 sets of points is allowed per loyalty number across both Club Carlson offers.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks from the time of purchase for Gold Points to be credited to your Club Carlson account.
Deal or No Deal?
This is not a bad deal, but the quantity is very low, and I have seen Club Carlson sell points for less via some flash sales that happen at various times during the year. In other words, unless you really want Club Carlson points ASAP this sale is probably not worth the effort given there are only 150 total packages. If you do get in on this offer, remember that when it comes time to redeem you can effectively double the value of your Club Carlson points by having the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature® Card since it gives the last award night free. Via this deal that means that 50,000 Club Carlson points can get you two nights in a hotel in London at some Club Carlson properties for the points purchase price of just $225.
Thursday March 26th
Five Nights at a Diamond Resorts International Property – $525, 200 available
- Certificate expires May 8, 2016.
- 5 consecutive-night, 6-day stay at your choice of 68 Diamond Resorts International® properties in a 1-bedroom accommodation.
- Certificate is valid for a consecutive night stay only
- Within 10 business days of purchase, an electronic certificate will be e-mailed to the e-mail address you provide at purchase. This electronic certificate will include instructions on how to redeem your vacation.
- Diamond Resorts reserves the right to select alternative accommodations, such as hotel, motel or condominium.
- Certificate may be subject to high season, holiday and other blackout periods depending on destination.
- Double occupancy
Deal or No Deal?
This offer has the potential to be a good deal as they have properties in desirable spots such as Maui, St. Maarten, Scotland, Ireland, Lake Tahoe, and many more. However, there are blackout dates, and based on some previous year comparisons I did, sometimes the per night price at some properties can be lower that the $525 for the five nights via this deal. On the other hand, this can be a heck of a deal as I priced out the Ka’anapali Beach Club for five nights in July and the cheapest price I saw was $400/night if you tried to book directly.
On the plus side of this offer, you will likely have a kitchen and small living area in a one-bedroom accommodation, but on the down-side these are time share type accommodations, so don’t expect the full range of services you might encounter at some resorts. I think there is absolutely some potential in this deal, depending on where you want to go, and your date flexibility.
Friday March 27th
Packages of Hilton HHonors Points
- 100,000 Hilton HHonors points (160 available) – $500, .5 cents per point
- 150,000 Hilton HHonors points (200 available) – $750, .5 cents per point
- 250,000 Hilton HHonors points (200 available) – $1,250, .5 cents per point
- Only 1 set of points may be purchased for this offer. Up to 3 sets of points may be purchased in total (one per offer) per HHonors member for all Hilton HHonors offers in this promotion.
- Upon purchase, please allow 3-4 weeks for HHonors Bonus Points to be posted to the member’s account provided at time of purchase.
Deal or No Deal?
Hilton HHonors offers points for sale for one cent each, with periodic sales sometimes bringing the price to the .6 – .7 cents per point range. This offer is a better deal than you can typically get directly from Hilton, so whether or not it is a good deal for you really depends on how you want to use your points. Some HHonors properties are 90,000 points per night, but there are many that are more like 30,000 – 50,000 points per night that can be a better deal at .5 cents per point during peak seasons than if you paid via cash, especially if you plan to take advantage of the 5th award night free offer.
I’m not a buyer at this price as I don’t have a specific Hilton HHonors redemption in mind, but it can make sense for some, so crunch the numbers for your own situation.
Daily Getaways Week 1 Overview:
I don’t think there are any “must buys” in Week 1 of the Daily Getaways, but there are some solid offers that can be a really good deal for some situations. I may pick up a few IHG points like I usually do, but otherwise I don’t see any offers I will probably personally going for this year in the first week.
Which offers are you getting or have you used in the past?
I am traveling on vacation for the next few days, so apologies in advance for a slower than normal response time with comments and emails.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.