Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
While the bad news is that IHG Rewards has properties going up in points price effective May 1st (see details here), they are also offering 50% off the points cost at some resort destinations in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean beginning that same date for one week only.
According to an IHG rep, beginning at noon EST on May 1st through noon EST on May 8th you can book the following resorts for 50% fewer IHG points for travel from May 1 – May 31, 2015. However, I noticed some of the properties pricing at the lower points rate already today, as shown in the screen shot below…
The resorts that will be 50% off the points price are:
- Holiday Inn Resort Acapulco, Mexico – 10,000 points per night
- Holiday Inn Resort Puerto Vallarta, Mexico – 15,000 points per night
- Holiday Inn Express Puerto Vallarta, Mexico – 10,000 points per night
- Holiday Inn Express Los Cabos, Mexico – 7,500 points per night
- Crowne Plaza Acapulco, Mexico – 10,000 points per night
- InterContinental Cancun, Mexico – 12,500 points per night
- Holiday Inn Resort Aruba, Aruba – 12,500 points per night
At prices ranging from 7,500 – 15,000 points per night the 70,000 sign-up bonus points from the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card can go really far! You can also still buy IHG points via the Daily Getaways at a rate as low as .565 cents per point (roughly 1/2 a cent), though be aware those do not post instantly to your account. I haven’t stayed at any of these resorts personally, but I have walked by the Holiday Inn property in Aruba and found it to be on a great stretch of beach. If you have stayed at any of these properties then please weigh in on your experiences!
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.