Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
United Airlines normally charges 45,000 miles to fly round trip to Hawaii in economy when there is saver award space available. However, they are currently offering a (thus far) unadvertised special where redemptions to Hawaii are discounted up to 25% off the regular redemption rates!
My tests agree with the “rules” of the discount discovered by trial and error via Dan’s Deals that include the 25% off price being available for those with a United credit card such as the United MileagePlus® Explorer Card. Non-cardholders get 20% off the regular redemption rate.
Here are other trial and error approved rules of the sale:
- Round trip or open-jaw flights to Hawaii for 33,750 miles for United credit cardholders
- Round trip or open-jaw flights to Hawaii for 36,000 miles for non-United credit cardholders
- Sale is valid from August 18 – December 15th for travel on Monday – Thursday
- If you travel one direction on a discounted day and the other on a non-discounted day you do receive a pro-rated mileage discount
- Flights can be nonstop or connecting, but they must all be operated by United Airlines
- Discount only valid in economy and does not work if you try to add a “reduced price one-way” to travel
Being able to fly round trip to Hawaii for as low as 33,750 miles round trip is actually pretty darn good! My go-to program to save on Star Alliance awards to Hawaii is typically Singapore Airlines as they charge 35,000 miles round trip instead of the 45,000 miles round trip that United typically charges, but this deal can be even better than that. Check out this (slightly older) post for a round-up of many different award chart prices to Hawaii on different airlines to see who charges even fewer miles to go to Hawaii.
In my searches award availability in late summer/fall is actually pretty good on United from many cities, so hopefully some of you can visit Hawaiian paradise for fewer miles. Maybe you can also combine it with staying in a two-bedroom villa on Kauai for just 15,000 points per night!
If you want in on this discounted sale but don’t have enough United miles in your account right now remember you can instantly transfer points to United from Chase Ultimate Rewards cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Anyone getting in on this discounted award sale to Hawaii?
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.