Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
‘Tis the season to get shopping…or at least that’s what retailers seem to want you to think. The good news is that means there are deals are out there (via things like Amazon Prime Day and Walmart’s own version of discounts this week), and now the miles and points shopping portals are also getting in on the action by sweetening the pot with bonus miles for those doing all this online shopping!
We typically see mileage bonuses appear around this time each year thanks to Back to School Shopping, but of course the bonuses aren’t limited to those who are looking for crayons and backpacks. Anyone with some online shopping to do over the next few weeks can get in on these bonus mile offerings.
Yesterday the American Airlines eShopping Portal released their newest bonus miles promotion and it breaks down like this:
- From 7/14/15 through 8/16/15 at 11:59:59 pm earn a one-time bonus of up to 3,500 AAdvantage bonus miles on qualifying purchases, in addition to the standard AAdvantage miles earned from shopping online through AAdvantage eShopping mall.
- Bonus miles will be issued based on cumulative qualifying purchases made during the bonus period.
- Earn 500 bonus miles for qualifying purchases of at least $125
- Earn 1,250 bonus miles for qualifying purchases of at least $500
- Earn 3,500 bonus miles for qualifying purchases of $1,000 or more. R
- Please allow 8-10 weeks after the Bonus Period for bonus miles to post to your AAdvantage eShopping mall account.
Remember that these bonus miles are on top of whatever you earn via the rewards credit card you pay with, and on top of whatever the normal payout is for the retailer of your choice.
A few examples of current retailer payouts in the AAdvantage eShopping mall include:
- Apple 3x
- Kmart 6x
- Kohl’s 4x (this will stack with the 5x at Kohl’s this quarter via the Chase Freedom®)
- Converse, New Balance, and Nike all 6x
The Southwest Airlines shopping portal also has a very similar bonus available.
- From July 15, 2015 through August 16, 2015 at 11:59:59 pm earn a one-time bonus of up to 3,500 bonus points on qualifying purchases, in addition to the standard points earned from shopping online through Rapid Rewards Shopping.
- Bonus points will be issued based on cumulative qualifying purchases made during the bonus period.
- Earn 500 bonus points for qualifying purchases of at least $125
- Earn 1,500 bonus points for qualifying purchases of at least $500
- Earn 3,500 bonus points for qualifying purchases of $1,000 or more.
A few examples of current payouts via the Southwest portal include:
- Apple 3x
- Backcountry 10x
- Best Buy 2x
- Converse 10x
- eBags 10x
- Home Depot 4x
- Office Depot 6x
- Saks 8x
- Sephora 8x
- Shoes.com 12x
- Walmart 5x
Watch the Miles Add Up:
As an example of how this can add up, if you had a $125 Kohl’s purchase via the AAdvantage eShopping mall you would earn 500 miles from the regular 4x payout, 500 bonus miles for spending $125 via the bonus, and then 625 points on your Chase Freedom® thanks to Kohl’s being a 3rd quarter 5x retailer. That is potentially a total of 1,625 miles and points for one $125 purchase. That is the kind of thing that adds up if you shop that way throughout the year.
I fully expect several of the other miles and points online portals to have similar “Back to School” bonus payouts available in the coming days and weeks, so please feel free to let me know if you spot any other bonuses!
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.