Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Choice Privileges is the loyalty program for Choice Hotels which includes Comfort Suites, Comfort Inn, Clarion, Ascend, and a few other budget minded hotel brands that you will often find scattered around the country and beyond. At over 6,300 properties around the world they are actually one of the largest hotel brands out there, even if they aren’t one of the fanciest. My parents regularly use Choice for their budget friendly National Parks themed trips, and we have used them at the Comfort Suites Paradise Island next to Atlantis (as shown below).
A couple of months ago I shared that Choice Privileges made a very positive change to their program when they eliminated the policy that all points expired on December 31st two years after they were earned even if you were a frequent Choice customer. Most similar loyalty programs allowed points to remain in your account into perpetuity as long as you continued to have activity in your account by earning or using points, and so it was great to hear that Choice will now do the same as long as you have account activity at least once every 18 months.
That is a huge and positive change, but it isn’t the only change that Choice Privileges has announced. Here are a few other program updates that Choice has made – as well a giveaway of some Choice points and elite status to a lucky Mommy Points reader!
- Your Extras. Weekday travelers can earn a special reward right when they check in. For each qualifying stay that includes at least 1 weekday night (Sunday – Thursday night), you can earn a special reward varying from Fuel Rewards savings at participating Shell locations, Amazon.com credit, 500 bonus points, or 100 airline miles from participating airline carriers that you can select online before checking in.
- FlexRewards. Get to a free night faster by being able to redeem points for free nights at discounted point levels at participating hotels, varying by season. There will be up to 2,000 hotels reduced during either the weekdays or weekend at any given time.
- Points + Cash. Use 6,000 points + cash to make award bookings.
- Digital Gift Cards. Choice states that they are the first hotel company to offer immediate in-app gift card downloads utilizing hotel points. I’m not usually a fan of using points to redeem for gift cards, but if you decide to go that route I suppose it is good to have the gift cards available for use as quickly as possible.
- Earn 10 points per dollar spent at all 5,500 Choice Hotels – including economy and extended stay hotels, such as MainStay Suites, Suburban, EconoLodge and Rodeway Inn.
Choice also has a “Stay Two Times Get a Free Night” promotion right now where between 3/3/16 and 5/5/16 you earn a minimum of 5,000 and a maximum of 8,000 bonus points after a second qualifying trip. The actual number of bonus points earned depends on the number of regular points you earn.
It is important to note that Choice does still maintain the policy of not allowing point redemptions until within 30 days of the trip in the US and Canada and 45 days for international destinations. If you have elite status with Choice that window expands to up to 100 days in advance for top tier members. I would love to see them extend or eliminate this policy at some point in the future!
Choice Privileges Giveaway:
When Choice approached me with some of these program updates, they also offered some points and elite status, which they graciously agreed to let me give to one of you instead of accepting for myself. They are providing 20,000 points + Gold elite status which will increase your booking window to 50 days for award nights.
To enter just state in the comments section on this post which Choice or Preferred property you would like to redeem your points at and I will randomly select one winner from all eligible entries submitted by March 11, 2016, at 11:59 PM Central. One entry per person, 18 and up, void where prohibited. I have my eyes on Elevation Hotel and Spa in Crested Butte for 25,000 points per night!
Good luck and thanks to Choice for adding some new features to their program and providing points and elite status for this giveaway!