Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
What could be better than flying ‘for free’ using miles and points, well how about flying ‘for free’ on a private plane? Okay I am keeping a healthy dose of skepticism on this one for now, but I went for it, so I’ll share it here in case it isn’t ‘too good to be true’ but actually works out!
JetSmarter is advertising that they will give a three-month Simple membership to anyone who has 1,000,000 frequent flyer miles or credit card points in one program or elite status with a major airline. This three month membership will give you:
- Complimentary single-seat bookings on posted JETSHUTTLE routes worldwide
- Complimentary single-seat bookings on empty-leg JETDEALS for spontaneous getaways
- Access to on-demand whole aircraft PRIVATECHARTERS for you and your friends
- Access to on-demand SHAREDCHARTERS customized to suit your schedule and shared with fellow members
Details on exactly what counts and what doesn’t qualify for the promotion are a little sparse, but going through some of @JetSmarter’s responses on Twitter the following seem to be true:
- It must be a million miles/points in a single program, but it can be your current balance or a lifetime balance as long as you can prove it.
- The airline elite status level you need seems to be a top tier status, though that isn’t expressly stated.
- The free three month membership provided is Simple Membership.
- Under the promotion you’d be able to bring up to one guest, depending on seat availability.
I’ve never flown in a private plane and know a very minimal amount about JetSmarter, but I know enough to throw my hat in the ring for this.
If you read this post you know that our recent drive to San Antonio wasn’t my all-time favorite six hours, but a quick look in the JetSmarter app shows that I could get two seats in a Learjet to fly from Houston to San Antonio tomorrow “for free” with a Simple membership, and otherwise seats are $108 each. That would have been a-maz-ing.
I seriously doubt my lifestyle would match up very well with utilizing last minute private jets, but if I was able to get a flight or two out of this, that sounds like a ton of fun and certainly worth sending in an email and screen shot. If you have a top tier elite status or a million miles or points either in an account, or you can show a lifetime total of 1,000,000 miles or points in one account, then you can theoretically follow these steps to try to get three months of free JetSmarter membership:
- Download the free JetSmarter app, and complete the in-app registration.
- Send a photo or short video that provides verifiable proof that you meet the requirements for this offer to email@example.com. Email must contain your first and last name, and phone number.
- They will notify you as soon as your free membership has been activated.
The terms indicate that this offer is valid until July 1, 2017, but I would act sooner rather than later just in case.
Thanks to Angelina Travels for first spotting this crazy offer.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.