Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Southwest has “fare sales” almost every week, but a couple of times per year they have really big fare sales….and for the next three days one of their big fare sales is live. These fare sales used to offer routes at fixed prices based on the distance between the cities, but while they have moved a little bit away from that model, they still have some routes at a real discount starting at $49 or 2,300 points each way.
To get the discounted fares you must book by 6/8/17 and travel from 8/22/17 – 12/13/17 for domestic routes, excluding some blackout dates and Fridays and Sundays on most routes. The valid travel dates vary a bit for select markets and international flights, so check the full terms and conditions at the bottom of the post for that info.
Here are examples of flights you can book for just $49 or around 2,300 Rapid Reward points each way:
- Houston – Memphis
- Houston – Oklahoma City
- Wichita – St. Louis
- Dallas – San Antonio
- Dallas – Little Rock
- Baltimore – Raleigh
- Panama City Beach – Nashville
- San Diego – Salt Lake City
- San Francisco – Portland
- Las Vegas – Los Angeles
The best way to quickly spot the cheapest days to fly is to use their flexible calendar search option as shown below.
This is a fantastic time to rebook existing cash or points Southwest reservations if the price has dropped to either get some points back in your Rapid Rewards account, or get a credit to use on a future Southwest flight.
It is very common for the big carriers to match this Southwest sale within a few hours, so keep checking for that if you prefer to fly another airline on some of these routes.
Were you able to snag some flights from just $49 or 2,300 points each way?
Southwest Sale Terms and Conditions:
- Purchase from June 6 through June 8, 2017, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Domestic travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid September 6 through December 7, 2017.International travel valid August 22 through December 13, 2017.
- Domestic travel blacked out September 1, September 4, & November 17-28, 2017. Sale fares to international destinations blacked out September 1-2 and November 18-20, 2017; sale fares from international destinations blacked out September 4-6 and November 25-28, 2017.
- Domestic travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday. International travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Fares valid only on nonstop service.
- Displayed prices include all U.S. and international government taxes and fees.
- Points bookings do not include taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges of at least $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Fares not available to/from Albany and Manchester.
- Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won’t be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
- Travel is available for one-way Wanna Get Away® fares.
- Fares may be combined with other Southwest Airlines® combinable fares. If combining with other fares, the most restrictive fare’s rules apply.
- Sale fares may be available on other days of week, but that’s not guaranteed.
- Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines®, as long as reservations are canceled at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure. Failure to cancel prior to departure will result in forfeiture of remaining funds on the reservation.
- Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare. Standby travel may require an upgrade to the Anytime fare depending on tier status.
- Fares are subject to change until ticketed.
- Offer applies only to published, scheduled service.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.