Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Each fall we see rental car companies offer some crazy deals to get renters to help them move cars from the Northeast where temperatures are cooling down to Florida where tourism is heating up. It’s no surprise that as the temperatures drop in the northern half of the country, folks flock south and need cars to rent. In fact, Hertz wants you to help move cars down to Florida so badly that they are offering one-way rentals to eligible Florida destinations from Jacksonville down to Miami for just $4.99 per day for up to a full size car rental from unlimited miles from select cities.
The eligible drop-off points include:
- Miami International Airport (MIA) – Miami, FL
- Tallahassee International Airport (TLH) – Tallahassee, FL
- Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) – Jacksonville, FL
- Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Ft. Myers Southwest International Airport (RSW) – Ft. Myers, FL
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) – Orlando, FL
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) – West Palm Beach, FL
- Sarasota Bradenton Airport (SRQ) – Sarasota, FL
- Tampa International Airport (TPA) – Tampa, FL
The eligible origins vary a bit based on travel dates, but include:
09/04/2017 – 12/10/2017
- Albany International Airport (ALB) – Albany, NY
- Syracuse Hancock Airport (SYR) – Syracuse, NY
- Yeager Airport (CRW) – Charleston, WV
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) – Buffalo, NY
- Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC) – Rochester, NY
10/10/2017 – 12/10/2017
- Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) – Washington DC
- Islip MacArthur Airport (ISP) – Islip, NY
- Portland International Jetport (PWM) – Portland, ME
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Philadelphia, PA
- T F Green Airport (PVD) – Providence, RI
- Norfolk Airport Counter (ORF) – Norfolk, VA
- Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) – Baltimore, MD
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) – Boston, MA
- Bradley International Airport (BDL) – Hartford, CT
- Burlington Airport (BTV) – Burlington, VT
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) – Dulles, VA
- New York City JFK Airport (JFK) – New York City, NY
- New York City LaGuardia Airport (LGA) – New York City, NY
- Newark International Airport (EWR) – Newark, NJ
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – Pittsburgh, PA
- Richmond International Airport (RIC) – Richmond, VA
- Westchester County Airport (HPN) – White Plains, NY
- Blacksburg Regional Airport (ROA) – Roanoke, VA
10/23/2017 – 12/10/2017
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) – Raleigh, NC
- Douglas International Airport – (CLT) Charlotte, NC
On a couple of test bookings the approximately $5 per day one-way rentals are even good over the busy Thanksgiving travel week, so this could be a very inexpensive way to head south to visit family, or just play in Florida during that school holiday week. Of course you would need to find a way back home whether that means flying, taking a train, bus, or finding a much more expensive one-way car rental back home.
These super low one-way rates are valid on Economy through Full-size car classes for rentals up to 14 days long. While the eligible booking dates currently run through December 10, 2017, I do not expect the $5 per day rates to still be around for new bookings that long so I would lock something in now if you want in on the annual great rental car migration.
Thanks to Autoslah for sharing news of this offer.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.