Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Some great news was announced recently from the Starwood Preferred Guest program that involves saving 30% – 50% on award stays at some top resorts! As was posted on Flyertalk:
Registered members can save up to 50% on Free Night redemptions at select participating resorts for Award stays from October 21 through December 20, 2012. Just redeem Starpoints for your stay, and, after your stay, 30%, 40%, or 50% of the Starpoints from your redemption will be bonused back into your SPG account (within 4-6 weeks). Register by November 30, 2012 at spg.com/r&r.
A full list of FAQ’s are up on the registration page, but we’ve addressed the most likely questions below:
– Existing Award reservations will count toward the promotion. There is no need to cancel and rebook your Award stay if you have one at these select resorts. Just ensure you register.
– Award stays can be booked at spg.com or through our Customer Contact Centers as usual.
– The 5th night free benefit is included in the redemption savings
– There is no minimum or maximum length of stay requirement
– Award stays under this promotion still count toward elite stay and night qualification.
The participating properties are:
• The St. Regis Aspen Resort, Colorado, USA
• The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, USA
• The St. Regis Bal Harbor Resort, Miami Beach, Florida, USA
• The St. Regis Monarch Beach, Dana Point, California, USA
• The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
• W South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida, USA
• The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida, USA
• W Retreat & Spa — Vieques, Puerto Rico, USA
• The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada
• The Westin St. John Resort & Villas, Virgin Islands, USA
• The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa, Rancho Mirage, California, USA
• The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, Cayman Islands
• The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba
• Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino, Bahamas
• Sheraton Steamboat Resort, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, USA
• Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, Chandler, Arizona, USA
• The St. Regis Deer Valley, Park City, Utah, USA
• The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
• The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort, San Antonio, Texas, USA
• The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, Georgia, USA
• The Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, British Columbia, Canada
I find it amazing how generous the terms of this promotion are. Stays where people check-in or out before 10/21, or after 12/20 are also still eligible as long as at least one night is during the promo period. Award stays where the 5th night is free also still count, so that means that a stay at Westin La Cantera, a Category 4 property where each night is typically 10,000 points per night, and 5 nights normally costs 40,000 points goes from being a good deal to a steal. With this promo, you will get 12,000 of those points back. That means that each night comes to just 5,600 SPG points per night. That is ridiculously amazing considering how nice this property is, and they even offer special events around the holidays.
Another example is the Westin Whistler Resort and Spa. You could stay there from December 20th – December 25th using the fifth night free and wake up in Whistler on Christmas morning for just a total of 44,800 points (after the 30% rebate). That comes to just 8960 per night. That is insane given that the going rate is over $400 Canadian dollars for each night. If you would prefer to flock to warmer weather, you could do the exact same thing with the Westin Diplomat in Florida for five nights and end up spending just 24,000 after 50% of your points are returned. That means that each night comes to just 4,800 points per night. Again, with a going rate between $200 – $300 per night for that property, this deal is just crazy. There are similarly fantastic deals at other properties as well. I’m a little heart-broken I probably can’t take advantage of this myself, but I will absolutely keep it in mind if an unexpected trip pops up.
Make sure to register for this promotion, just in case. I would love to hear how you plan to take advantage of this promo. I will live through your good deals with this one!