Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Update: At least United is now matching on some routes. I bet others will as well. Get to booking!
When possible, I wait for big sales to buy airfare. One of the sales I wait for is the Southwest sale where flights of different lengths are for sale for fixed prices. Today that sale has returned, and you can bet I will be pricing out airfare I know I need for the rest of the year. The difference is that this time the pricing is worded as “starting at” instead of just being a fixed price. Sometimes other airlines like United, Delta, or American will start to match these fares as well, so I recommend you check airfare for cities you are interested in visiting during the time-frame of the sale. Here are the details.
- Starting at $49 for flights up to 500 miles in duration
- Starting at $99 for flights up to 501 – 1250 miles in duration
- Starting at $129 for flights 1251 – 1,750 miles in duration
- Starting at $149 for flights 1,751 miles +
Those prices are one-way prices. Remember you can get a credit for the fare difference (or get some points returned) if the price has dropped for a Southwest flight you have booked, so remember to check on those reservations as well.
These fares will start to sell out before the sale actually ends, so don’t delay. Here are some of the official rules:
- Purchase from Jun. 11 through Jun. 13, 2013, 11:59 pm for the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Travel Aug. 26 through Dec. 18, 2013.
- Blackout dates apply: Sept. 2 and Nov. 26 through Dec. 3
- Travel valid every day except Fridays & Sundays.
- Some flights operated by AirTran Airways. Available on published, scheduled service only.
- Fares valid on nonstop service only.
- Service to Grand Rapids, MI begins on Aug. 11, 2013. Service to Memphis, TN; Pensacola, FL and Richmond, VA begins on Nov. 3, 2013.
- Displayed prices include all government taxes and fees.
- Lowest advertised fare not available to/from Dayton, OH; Washington (Reagan National), DC; New York (Newark); Philadelphia, PA; Washington (Dulles), DC; New York (LaGuardia); West Palm Beach, FL; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Fort Myers, FL; and Seattle, WA.
You can check out the details of the sale here. Thanks to Deals We Like for sharing the good news about the sale’s return! I’m not seeing matching on the routes I am watching yet, but I will keep checking throughout the day. Would love to hear what you find!