Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
We just returned from our last real summer getaway. I am sad our last summer vacation this year has ended, but truthfully part of me is ready to explode with happiness thinking of the routine and predictability that will come with our fall/school schedule in just over a week. In case your “end of summer” has been as crazy as mine, here are some quick miles and points updates in one minute or less.
- Cathay Pacific has announced their new route will be Newark – Hong Kong beginning on March 2. I have seen some reports that award availability even for multiple business class seats is currently excellent. This can sometimes be the case with new routes for a while, so hop on it if you want to use Cathay to get your whole family in a premium cabin to Asia!
- The Radisson Hotel International Drive has left the Club Carlson family. This property was a Category 1 property requiring just 9k points per night not that long ago. It had since increased in category, but still remained one that some families considered when using Club Carlson points in Orlando. They will reportedly be honoring reservations made with points, but no changes other than cancellations will be permitted. If you want to use Club Carlson points in Orlando you can still choose between hotels such as Radisson Resort Orlando Celebration (38k points), Country Inn & Suites Orlando Main Gate (15k points), Radisson Hotel Orlando – Lake Buena Vista (38k points), and Country Inn & Suites Orlando Universal (15k points).
- IHG Rewards is offering a 100% bonus on purchased points for certain targeted members through August 26th so check your email if you are interested in this one. Loyalty Traveler explains why he thinks the deal makes sense for him. If you go “all in” you can get 120k IHG Rewards Club points for $690. I was not targeted, but would probably pass as I just got some points via the Daily Getaways and can buy them unofficially from IHG Rewards Club whenever I need them at a good price, but if you need a bunch of points all at once this can be a good deal. Just don’t sit on them!
- United just opened a brand new United Club at the San Diego airport. I love that they are continuing to invest in their airline lounges, but I am bummed that the last couple to open or be renovated have all been without a family room. I think having a (small) room dedicated to traveling families helps not only the families, but also all of those who are traveling without families! It does not require very much dedicated square footage or resources to have a family room. Just dedicate a small room with a kid’s table/chairs and a basic toy table or two, and voila, families have a space and non-families will have a little more peace and quiet.
- Enter to win a seat on the upcoming Star MegaDo 5 via leaving a message in this thread on Milepoint. Not only will you win a seat on the MegaDo, but you will also win free Marriott hotel rooms for Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday nights (Toronto) and Friday night (San Francisco) on the charter, additional expenses (early morning Starbucks, anyone?), and any additional meals if you’re the hungry type. You will be responsible for positioning flights to Toronto and home from San Francisco. While you are at Milepoint, you can also enter to win a custom Rimowa Salsa Deluxe 21″ Cabin Multiwheel (spinner) bag which sells for $595. It features a matte black finish (one of the custom features) and the exclusive Star MegaDO logo. Fancy!
- Through tomorrow (August 14th), you can redeem your JetBlue points with a 25% discount for travel September 3 – November 14th. This is valid only for flights on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday (not available Friday or Sunday). Also, flights cannot be discounted to less than 5,000 points one-way. Deals We Like has additional info on this deal.
Have a great day and let me know if I missed any major miles and points news of the day!