Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Here is a quick round-up of today’s miles and points news…
Hilton HHonors Providing Free Internet Beginning in August 2015
Hotel internet is official going the way of the beeper and the last big chain to hold-out, Hilton, has now announced pathways to free internet beginning in August. They are requiring guests to be Hilton HHonors members and book via select booking channels. As was shared on Flyertalk by HHonors Representative, here is how the free internet will work:
- Our most loyal guests, Diamond members, will receive complimentary premium Wi-Fi beginning in the second quarter this year at all of our properties when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
- Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Booking directly through a proprietary Hilton channel one of our corporate travel partners:
- The Hilton HHonors mobile app
- Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
- Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
- Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
- Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
- This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge.
Just like IHG, Marriott, and SPG, HHonors is requiring some hoops to be jumped in order to qualify for free internet. Hyatt, on the other hand, is giving it away to everyone. Either way, I’m glad that 2015 is the year of free hotel internet!
Club Carlson Triple Points in March 2015
Check your inbox to see if you were targeted for triple Club Carlson points in March. The email subject line is “We Have a Private Offer Waiting for You”. If you were targeted this will up the earning to 60x base points per dollar spent + the earnings on your rewards credit card. That is very good all by itself, but remember that Club Carlson is also running the most lucrative hotel promotion right now where you earn 30,000 bonus points for eligible stays of 3 nights and 15,000 bonus points for 2 night stays. They also have some other point bonuses at select properties, so it is not hard to rack up a ton of Club Carlson points on eligible stays right now!
Add that to being able to get the last award night free when it comes time to redeem your Club Carlson points if you have the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature® Card and Club Carlson is easily the most lucrative hotel loyalty program right now.
I have some Club Carlson stays this month, but sadly they are already booked on points, and the cash rate makes it prohibitive to switch, but hopefully your travel plans will result in racking up some Club Carlson points to use on future stays!
Costco Co-Branded Card Going to Citi and Visa:
The Costco Amex is reported to be on the way out in favor of a new relationship between Costco and Citibank where Visa will be the card accepted in the store instead of Amex starting in April 2016. I’m not personally a Costco Amex cardholder, but I know many people who barely dabble in rewards cards, yet swear by their Costco Amex, so I’m guessing this is big news to that crowd. Thanks to Kalboz on Milepoint for sharing this update.