Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Via a traditional airline saver award you can often fly in economy within the United States on exciting routes like Houston to Kansas City for 12,500 miles each way. Logic then would dictate that if you wanted to fly from say Houston to Singapore it would cost many times that amount, and often your logic would be correct.
However, right now you can fly from Houston to Singapore on Singapore Airlines for just 6,250 miles more than you can fly from Houston to Kansas City. Crazy, right?! Via a 50% off award sale that Singapore Airlines is running to celebrate their 50th anniversary it is just 18,750 miles each way in economy from Houston to Singapore from May 20 – July 10, 2015. In fact, there are 28 destinations to/from Singapore that are 50% via this sale.
It’s totally okay if you don’t have Singapore Airlines miles and want to take advantage of these discounted routes as Singapore Airlines is a transfer partner from American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, and even Citi ThankYou Rewards and cards like the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card. In other words, it is very, very easy these days to get Singapore Airlines miles for those of us with credit cards here in the United States!
The bad news about this sale is that there are still the hefty fuel surcharges and sadly those aren’t 50% off. On the Houston – Singapore flight it would cost you 18,750 miles + $234 in taxes/fuel surcharges for that one-way flight during this sale. A round trip would be roughly double both of those amounts. Still, that is a whole lot of flying for that price so it could still be worth considering.
A few of the other eligible routes include (all to/from Singapore):
London 17,500 miles
Zurich 17,500 miles
Maldives 9,250 miles
Hong Kong 7,500 miles
Bali 3,750 miles
Brisbane 12,500 miles
Perth 10,000 miles
I’ve only flown Singapore from Maldives – Singapore in business class, but from everything I have heard their economy is better than what you are probably used to on most US carriers.
Here are a few of the terms and conditions for the 50% off award sale:
- The travel period is from 20 May to 10 July 2015. All travel must be completed by 10 July 2015.
- There will be no 15% online redemption booking discount for this promotion in addition to the 50% redemption discount.
- Taxes, fuel surcharges and fees are applicable in addition to the required redemption mileage and paid separately by the passenger in the applicable currency.
- Bookings may only be made on singaporeair.com. This promotion is not available through KrisFlyer Membership Services, booking agents, or any other medium.
- Bookings are valid only for online redemption of applicable Saver awards in Economy Class on selected Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights.
- Online redemption bookings must be made by 10 July 2015.
- Tickets redeemed through this promotion are not applicable for upgrades.
- This promotion is only applicable to confirmed flights. Waitlisted flights during this promotional period will be subject to the terms and conditions of this promotion if they are confirmed from the waitlist. This includes waitlisted flights made before the promotional period.
Thanks to The Wandering Aramean for sharing info about this sale!
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.