Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
I know we focus primarily on travel deals here, but I’m also very interested in deals in other aspects of life so I can’t help but wonder about Amazon Prime Day. This is basically a supposedly awesome sale on Amazon that is slated to happen tomorrow (Wednesday). In many ways the last thing we need is another big hyped manufactured day to shop, but on the other hand, if you have stuff you were going to get anyway, might as well get that stuff at a big discount. So, after ignoring anything about “Amazon Prime Day” for weeks, today I relented and dug a little. Here’s what I found…
Amazon Prime Day is happening tomorrow for Amazon Prime Customers (I’ve read there are an estimated 40 million+ of them!), where for one day there will be discounts that are “even bigger than Black Friday”. It is reportedly to celebrate Amazon’s 20th birthday and it hasn’t been announced if it will be a one-time event or a new yearly shopping even to look forward to or dread, depending on your point of view.
The catch is you must have Amazon Prime in order to participate in the sale. That is normally $99 (well spent) per year, but you can do a free 30 day Amazon Prime Trial if you wanted to try out the perks and the sale (just remember to cancel if you don’t want to keep it). In addition to access to the sale Amazon Prime gets you free two-day shipping, same day delivery in some areas, access to streaming videos and songs, and more. You can share one membership with four household members, and I can’t imagine ever giving up Prime we use it so frequently.
Anyway, back to the Prime Day sale… Exactly what will be discounted on Prime Day has been kept pretty quiet until now. We still don’t know tons of specifics, but here are some of the reported sales that should kick-off beginning at midnight Pacific time tonight:
- Fire TV Stick, fastest selling Amazon device of all time, $15 off
- Kindle, $30 off
- Fire HD 7, $60 off
- Fire HD 7 Kids Edition, $60 off
- 32-inch LED TV, $75
- 40-inch 1080p LED TV, $115
- Brand-name 32-inch Smart HDTV, under $200
- 50-inch 4K TV bundle, under $1000
- Bose headphones at the lowest price ever on Amazon
- Chromebook laptop, only $199
- Over 50% off two Nikon COOLPIX cameras
- Highly rated binoculars, under $120
- Two security camera-kits, $279.99
- K’NEX 2-in-1 Ferris Wheel Building Set (Amazon Exclusive), $35.99
- K’NEX Crossfire Chaos Roller Coaster Building Set (Amazon Exclusive), $23.99
- Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure (Amazon Exclusive), $9.99
- iRobot Roomba Pet Vacuum Cleaning Robot, under $300
- Husqvarna mower, under $300
- 40 lightning deals on DVDs up to 75% off
- Up to 50% off any of the Harry Potter books
- Save more than 70% on the Divergent Series Complete Box Set of books
- Save up to 70% on select kitchen products from top brands like Cuisinart, KitchenAid, Foodsaver and Thermos
- Save up to 50% on select tools for the DIY auto enthusiast
- Connected Car and Scan Tool products starting at 60% off
- Road-trip-ready automotive products starting at 50% off
- Save more than 50% on Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
- 30% off select clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches & more
- 60% off Amazon Elements Baby Wipes with code ELEMENTS60
- Free luxury beauty sample box with $50 purchase of luxury beauty products, with promo code LUXSAMPLES
- Buy an Amazon.com Gift Card multipack, get $10 in Amazon.com promotional credit
- Get 25% bonus Amazon Coins when you buy 5,000 or 10,000 Amazon Coins
- Prime Now will also offer deals in the six cities where the service is offered
I’ll be at least casually browsing at a few items – thus far the gift cards spike my interest since you can always get those and load them to your account for later. I’m not in the market for a TV, but those prices are pretty crazy! This could also be a good time to utilize something like Citi Price Rewind if you recently bought something on an eligible credit card and the price drops tomorrow. If you were feeling particularly motivated you could choose to go stock up on Amazon gift cards tonight at a retailer where you earn a bonus with one of your rewards credit cards (grocery store, office supply store, etc.) to earn maximum points and take advantage of the sale.
I’ll be sure to post more tomorrow when the deals are actually live, and please feel free to share if you find something too good to keep to yourself (after you complete your own order of course).