Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Via a new promotion that will run from July 27 – August 24, 2015 you can earn up to 40,000 bonus Aeroplan (Air Canada) miles via transfers into Aeroplan from other programs. You can use Aeroplan miles to fly on Star Alliance member airlines such as United, so this is a potentially relevant promo even if you don’t typically fly Air Canada or utilize Aeroplan. You can view their award chart here, and be aware there are fuel surcharges with some partners, though not with United.
Some eligible partner programs include (see full list here):
- Starwood Preferred Guest
- Marriott Rewards
- Hilton HHonors
- Club Carlson
- Wyndham Rewards
- Choice Privledges
You earn bonus Aeroplan miles based on the cumulative total number of miles transferred in from eligible programs.
- 1,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling between 5,000 and 9,999 Aeroplan Miles
- 2,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling between 10,000 and 19,999 Aeroplan Miles
- 4,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling between 20,000 and 49,999 Aeroplan Miles
- 10,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling between 50,000 and 99,999 Aeroplan Miles
- 25,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling between 100,000 and 149,999 Aeroplan Miles
- 40,000 bonus miles for transfers totaling at least 150,000 Aeroplan Miles
Sadly the transfer of Amex Membership Rewards points into Aeroplan does not count toward this promotion, though you can use that 1:1 transfer ratio to top off to an award threshold after getting a jump start toward an award using this promo. Here are a few example of transfer ratios from eligible partners (before the promo bonus). Be aware that the starting ratios stated below are sometimes not as lucrative as when you start transferring larger numbers of points to miles.
- SPG® Members can convert their Starpoints® to Aeroplan Miles at a rate of 1 for 1. Remember there is also a 5,000 mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 points to miles, so 20,000 SPG points = 25,000 transferred miles to Aeroplan. As View From the Wing points out, this means that you can transfer 120,000 SPG points and have enough Aeroplan miles for two business class round trip tickets from the US to many countries in Western Europe (90,000 miles each).
- Wyndham Rewards members can convert their Points to Aeroplan Miles at a starting rate of 5 points to 1 mile (starting at 6,000 points for 1,200 Miles):
- Best Western Rewards members can convert their Points to Aeroplan Miles at a rate of 5 points to 1 mile.
- Choice Privileges members can convert their Points to Aeroplan Miles at a rate of 5 points to 1 mile.
- Club Carlson members can choose auto-conversion (every 10,000 points will automatically convert into 1,000 Aeroplan Miles) or convert as needed (in increments of 2,000; 50,000 or 100,000 points).
- Members earn both Aeroplan Miles and Hilton points for the same stay or can convert points to miles in increments of 10,000 points for 1,000 miles.
- Marriott Rewards members can convert points to Aeroplan Miles (10,000 points for 2,000 miles). If you transfer 140,000 points you get 50,000 transferred Aeroplan miles.
- Redeem your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Points for Aeroplan Miles at a rate of 600 points for 500 miles.
According to the terms, the Aeroplan bonus miles are credited 7-10 days following successful receipt by Aeroplan of a conversion transaction from the partner. Also be aware that some partners may take 2-4 weeks to submit point to mile conversions to Aeroplan so transfers are not necessarily instant.
If you have some really large hotel point balances, or some stranded hotel points in various programs that you were looking to burn, then this could be a useful promo for you to consider.