Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
Last week I shared the new IHG Point Breaks preview list that provided a head’s up on the IHG properties where as of today you would be able to spend just 5,000 points per night to book a award night instead of the 20,000 – 35,000 points per night that lots of these properties usually sell for thanks to Point Breaks.
New IHG Point Breaks List is Going Live
The hotels on this magical list are now becoming available for bookings and stays from January 30 – April 30, 2017, but some properties will sell out of Point Breaks rooms very quickly since the dates cover spring break travel dates and there some pretty cool spots on the list. Note that so far I haven’t gotten all of the hotels to work (including the North American properties), but some properties in India, Asia, and beyond are now live. I expect pretty quickly all the properties will be online. The comments in this Flyertalk thread are a fantastic resource as to which properties are up and working at 5,000 points per night.
As I mentioned in the preview post, you could potentially book the Candlewood Suites Anaheim just a few blocks from Disneyland for just 5,000 points per night. You could even stay at a hotel with an indoor water park at the Holiday Inn and Suites Maple Grove in Minnesota for just 5,000 points (water park open on the weekends).
If you are quick with your booking fingers, you could also stay at the new Intercontinental Real Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic for just 5,000 points per night instead of the usual award rate of 35,000 points per nigh. The Intercontinental Maracaibo in Venezuela also joins the Intercontinental Real Santo Domingo as one of the “nicer” properties on this Point Breaks list.
In addition to those two Intercontinental properties there are also a few Crowne Plaza and Hotel Indigo properties to join the many Holiday Inn Express, Candlewood Suites, and Staybridge Suites hotels on the list. Below are a few additional specific properties that jumped out at me as being potentially interesting to families this spring as stops along a road trip or similar.
- Candlewood Suites Roswell New Mexico
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Smithfield – Providence Rhode Island
- Holiday Inn Express Memphis Tennessee East I-240
- Holiday Inn South Jordan – Salt Lake City South
- Candlewood Suites Anaheim – Resort Area
- Candlewood Suites Parachute Colorado
- Crowne Plaza Stamford Connecticut
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Perry Florida
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Iberia-Avery Island Louisiana
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove NW Minneapolis-Arbor Lakes (indoor water park!)
If you want to build a trip around a 5,000 point per night IHG Points Break hotel you may sacrifice staying exactly in the middle of the action, but if you are okay being potentially slightly out of the center of the tourist zone, then this can be a great way to create a budget trip.
If you need a few more IHG points you can purchase IHG points with up to a 75% bonus (depending on what your account is targeted for), which drops the per point price to around 7/10th of a cent each through February 5, 2017. At that price, a 5,000 point Point Breaks night is around $35 per night. Staying near Disneyland or in a new Intercontinental Hotel for just $35 worth of points per night is not too shabby. Those with the IHG credit card even get 10% of their redeemed points back dropping the true price even lower.
Keep in mind you can make up to two Point Breaks reservations at a given property on the list, and also remember that some of the Intercontinental type properties will likely get booked very quickly so don’t delay if you see something you want.
Were you able to book any 5,000 point per night Point Breaks rooms this time around?
Hotels in North America:
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites El Dorado
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pine Bluff
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Russellville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Morton Peoria Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rock Falls
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jacksonville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Garden City
- Candlewood Suites Fort Campbell – Oak Grove
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pikeville
- Candlewood Suites Denham Springs
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites New Iberia-Avery Island
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raceland – Highway 90
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dearborn SW – Detroit Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lansing-Dimondale
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Farmington Hills – Detroit
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raleigh NE – Medical Center Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Reidsville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rockingham
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blackwell
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites El Reno
- Staybridge Suites Oklahoma City – Quail Springs
- Holiday Inn Express Athens
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Covington
- Holiday Inn Express Memphis East I-240
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raymondville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shamrock North
- Staybridge Suites Tomball
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Zapata
Hotels in Asia and Australia:
People’s Republic of China
- Holiday Inn Express Baoji City Centre
- Holiday Inn Beijing Shijingshan Parkview
- Crowne Plaza HangzhouOneThousandIslandLake
- Holiday Inn Express Nantong Xinghu
- Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
Hotels in Africa:
Hotels in South America:
Hotels in Latin America and Mexico:
Hotels in Europe:
- Holiday Inn Express Antrim – M2, Jct.1
- Holiday Inn Barnsley M1, Jct.37
- Holiday Inn Darlington – A1 Scotch Corner
- Holiday Inn Express Middlesbrough – Centre Square
- Holiday Inn Northampton West M1, Jct 16
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.