Please note this site has financial relationships with American Express and this post may contain affiliate links. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here to learn more about my partners.
There is great news today for Amazon and gift card deal hunters as what is arguably the best Amazon deal of the year (so far), where many accounts can save 20% by using as few as one Amex Membership Reward point, can now be used more than once!
The bad news is that Amazon gift cards are no longer getting discounted via the promotion, but other gift cards are still benefiting from the 20% discount. This discount is applied if your account is eligible, you activate the promotion, and use as few as one Amex Membership Reward point from cards such as The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card or The Platinum Card® towards the order.
Examples of gift cards sold by Amazon that are eligible for the 20% savings include Panera Bread, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Uber, Lowe’s, and plenty more! If you usually shop the upcoming Nordstrom Anniversary sale that starts July 12th, this can be a great way to add another 20% of savings to your haul by loading up on Nordstrom gift cards via Amazon. Of course, you don’t have to use this promotion to purchase gift cards, you can use the discount on real items sold by Amazon, too.
Below is an example of what the 20% discount looks like on a $200 Southwest Airlines e-gift card. Getting $200 of Southwest travel for $160 by just making a few clicks is not a bad deal at all. You can even pay for third party gift cards with Amazon gift cards, so if you loaded up on Amazon gift cards at a grocery or office supply store to earn bonus points there, you can stack the savings.
Be aware that the promo seems to be defaulting orders to pay all with Amex Membership Reward points, which you probably don’t want to do as the return per point is not good. I recommend using just one point and racking up the 20% savings, up to $100 per order.
Terms and Conditions:
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $100.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with a Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- This promotion starts at 12:00 am PST on July 2nd, 2018 and ends when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Editorial Note: The opinions expressed here are mine and not provided, reviewed, by any bank, card issuer, or other company unless otherwise stated.